- 16.9% growth in passenger numbers in 2015 compared to 2014
- December passenger numbers up 18.9% vs. 2014
- The highest percentage growth of all major London airports in 2015
12.3 million passengers travelled through London Luton Airport (LLA) last year, making 2015 the busiest year in the airport’s 77 year history.
The figure represents 16.9% annual growth compared to 2014. LLA recorded double-digit growth every month last year, including 18.9% in December, making it the fastest growing major London airport in percentage terms in 2015. This significant growth comprised of increased capacity and new routes with established airlines and the arrival of no less than four new airlines; in total 20 new routes were launched from LLA in 2015.
To meet demand from passengers LLA is currently undergoing a £110m redevelopment. When complete in 2020, LLA’s capacity will have increased by 50% from 12 million to 18 million passengers.
The transformation will deliver major upgrades to the airport’s facilities, including:
- A complete redesign of the terminal to create a quick, efficient, friendly and convenient passenger experience.
- Doubling of the existing retail space, introducing exciting shopping and dining options, including a new executive lounge.
- A new multi-storey car park with 1,700 spaces.
- The addition of Oyster card services through to the terminal building.
- Transport access has already been improved through a major upgrade to junction 10a of the M1 and the introduction of overnight trains between St Pancras International and Luton Airport Parkway.
Nick Barton, CEO of LLA, said: “With more than 12 million passengers passing through the airport 2015 was a record year for LLA. But while 2015 was the busiest year in our history, 2016 is set to be the most exciting as our £110m investment transforms the experience for our passengers.
“The redevelopment will also increase our capacity to 18 million passengers per year by 2020. The recent announcement that airlines Vueling and Transavia will both begin flights from LLA this year shows that demand is continuing to grow.”
Visit www.transforminglla.com for details of the improvements.
For more information please contact: email@example.com